A Vegan Soup at its Finest
One of my favourite soups when I was growing up was canned tomato rice. I loved the flavour, (albeit there was a ton of sodium in it) and I could live off of the tomato and rice combination in many dishes to this day. I had a bunch of tomatoes that were about to go bad, so I whipped them up into a soup, and this was born! I love the flavour, and the fact that its made with purely fresh vegetables. But I have also made the canned tomato version, and it tastes just as good.
Homemade Tomato Rice Soup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion (2 small) Chopped
- 2 Medium Carrots (Chopped)
- 2 Large Celery Stalks (Chopped)
- 2 Medium Potatoes (Chopped)
- 4.4 Cups Tomatos or 1- 28oz Can Diced Tomatos
- 1/2 Cup White Rice
- 1 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup (to cut the acid of the tomatos)
- Juice of 1 Lime (adds more alkalinity)
- 2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp ground Oregano
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Pepper
- 3.5 Cups Vegetable Stalk
- In a large pot, heat oil and sauté the onion, carrots, potatoes, celery and salt until tender.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to the blender and add the tomatoes you’re using, add some or all of the broth to blend.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot and add any remaining broth.
- Add rice, pepper, oregano and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until rice is cooked and tender.
- Pour into bowls and serve.
- Serves 4.
My hope is that you will add this to one of your weekly meatless meals, to help you add more fresh vegetables into your diet.
Because you’re worth it,